Flex Technology Material Applications
Self-Drilling & Self-Tapping Screws For Metal
Structural Self-Drilling Screws
Structural Self-Tapping Screws
300 Series Stainless Steel Self-Drilling Fasteners
Fasteners For Aluminum Applications
Stainless Steel Self-Tapping Screws
Stainless Steel Self-Drilling Screws
Anchors For Concrete Applications
Bi-Metal Fasteners: The corrosion resistance of 300 series stainless steel in a threaded concrete anchor
Typical Flex Technology Applications
- Dissimilar metal applications
- Windows, doors & skylights
- Blast protection systems
- Solar panel racking support systems
- Building enclosures/envelope
- Curtain wall systems, stone acades
- Insulated metal panels
Are you using Standard case hardened fasteners that are vulnerable to delayed embrittlement?
Welcome to Elco's Flex Technology, a solution incorporating high performance and virtual immunity to delayed embrittlement failures.
Elco Flex Technology fasteners surpass any standard fastenting format available allowing designers and system manufacturers to manage their risk and enhance the performance of critical connections.
Fasteners using Flex Technology are engineered using special alloy materials that received proprietary heat treatments and tempering processes and are finished with the well known, trusted STALGARD Corrosion Protection coatings. Lastly, they meet strict RoHS compliance and are chrome-free clearly making them an ideal industrial fastening choice when quality is of the utmost importance.
Why Use and What's the Flex Technology Advantage?
Standard case hardened fasteners are vulnerable to delayed embrittlement failures. These failures are brought on by the presence of hydrogen which is generated in dissimilar metal applications.
Galvanic reactions between dissimilar metals such as aluminum and steel, in the presence of moisture (humidity, condensation, exposure to inclement weather or coastal fog, e.g.), reduces detrimental hydrogen.
This can destroy the integrity of fastener grain boundaries, leading to sudden and potentially catastrophic fastener failures. Metallurgically, this phenomenon is known as HASCC (Hydrogen Assisted Stress Corrosion Cracking) and it happens without any visible signs,such as red rust.
Corrosion Avoidance & Prevention
Elco Flex Technology Fasteners are engineered to prevent corrosion and stress failures. Types of corrosions necessary to avoid are:
In the presence of moisture, materials higher on the list will be sacrificial to materials lower on the list. The greater the EMF differential, the greater the sacrificial action of the anode to the cathode in a galvanic cell.
• Uniform Corrosion
• Galvanic Corrosion
• Hydrogen assisted stress
Example of how fasteners can fail due to hydrogen assisted cracking (HAASC). These 410 SS super passivated fasteners with plain finish (above) and410 fasteners with aluminum-filled topcoat (below) failed at the interface of the aluminum and steel sheets during salt spray tests.
Stalgard Coating for Induction Heat-Treated Fasteners
Product diameter range:
#8 and larger
Salt spray resistance:
1000 hours per ASTM B117
Pantone gray available for ACQ-treated lumber
Maintains tapping performance.
Stalgard GB: (Galvanic Barrier) Coating
All Elco Flex Technology Stainless Steel Fasteners come with Stalgard GB for optimal protection.
- Standard on all Elco stainless steel fasteners
- Prevents a galvanic reaction between the stainless steel and dissimilar application materials, which could lead to fastener and/or joint failure
- Salt spray resistance:
1000 hours per ASTM B117
- Available Pantone color: Silver
- Maintains tapping performance
Stalgard® High-Performance Protective Coatings
Stalgard® durable, multi-layer, corrosion-resistant coatings are engineered to provide optimal performance in demanding construction applications. These environmentally-friendly finishes are free of chromates and silicates and any process, like electroplating, that might induce hydrogen embrittlement, preventing structural failures.
- Maximizes fastener performance
- Salt spray at 1000+ hours with no red rust per ASTM B117
- Uniform thickness
- Low coefficient of friction – eliminates the need for post-coating lubricants to ease installation
- Does not use processes that introduce hydrogen -– will not cause brittle failures like those caused by electroplating
- Durable tough finish – doesn't come off during handling or repeated installations
- Eliminates the plating process, resulting in a more environmentally-friendly product than those with plated zinc or other finishes
- Blue, grey, and white Stalgard are ACQ-compatible